We can all get bored with our style and sometimes a new hair colour is just what’s needed to change up your look. If you’re thinking about going blonde, we’ve put together a few tips and techniques to make sure you get it right and avoid some classic pitfalls.
What would I look like with blonde hair? It’s a question everyone’s asked themselves at some point. There are even apps out there that can show you without having to even look at a bottle of hair dye. As good as they may be, nothing will fully prepare you for the real thing. Making the switch to blonde will mean you can not only try so many different styles, it shows people you’re brave when it comes to looking good. If you’re interested, take a look at our guide on how to dye your hair blonde for men.
- 1 Guys with Blonde Hair
- 2 Mens Blonde Hair Dye
- 3 Platinum Blonde Hair for Men
- 4 How to Dye Your Hair Blonde for Guys
- 5 How to Bleach Your Hair Blonde
- 6 Best Hair Dye for Men
- 7 How to Dye Brown Hair Blonde
- 8 Dying Black Hair Blonde
- 9 How to Dye Your Hair Blonde
- 10 On That Note
Guys with Blonde Hair
Dark haired men can get pretty jealous of how good blonde guys look in lighter clothes and sometimes it seems like there’s nothing they can’t pull off. Guys with blonde hair look great in softer shades so once you’ve made the switch to blonde, you should give light coloured jackets a go or even finally try out electric blue now you have the hair to wear it right!
Take a look at some of these lighter haired men to get an idea of how you can change up your style with a new look.
Mens Blonde Hair Dye
Men dying their hair blonde has always been a little controversial, but we say do what you feel, but always get all the right infomation so you don’t kill your hair! Choosing which dye works best for you doesn’t have to be difficult. We’d recommend speaking to a professional colourist first. They’ve got enough experience to tell you how to avoid the usual mistakes that people make.
It’s good to have an idea of the colour you’d like, and there are a few different shades of blonde to consider, or at least get familiar with some of the phrases.
Mens Hair Dye Shades:
- Platinum – A huge statement, this silver look takes hours to create and then more to maintain.
- Ash blonde – Less intense than platinum and works really well with lighter skin tones. You can blend this into darker roots that makes a vivid colour.
- Copper blonde – Definitely a calmer option, might be worth trying out a copper or strawberry blonde and then moving up to something brighter. It’s like an auburn mixed with a dark blonde that can compliment darker skin tones.
Platinum Blonde Hair for Men
Platinum blonde is the ultimate when it comes to lighter hairstyles. When thinking about platinum hair it’s so important to wear it with confidence. There’s no point getting a platinum haircut and then wasting it by hiding it under a hat.
We can’t stress this enough – you really shouldn’t try this from home the first time, unless you’re in a professional colourist’s house. It’s very risky for your hair if you get this wrong, and the uninitiated can end up causing a lot of damage to their skin or leave their hair very brittle and dry.
How to Maintain Platinum Blonde Hair
Once you’ve taken the dive into platinum blonde hair don’t forget it’s going to be very delicate and needs a lot of attention. To keep the colour you’ll have to invest in a purple toning shampoo, we’ve put together a few tips for using purple toning shampoo.
- When buying shampoo it should be a very dark purple and thick, if it’s clear or thin then don’t even bother – here’s where your colourist can help you find the best one, they’ll have loads of recommendations.
- Trial how often you need to apply the shampoo, most people will need to use it every time they shampoo at first and then move onto every other wash.
- If you just have blonde on the ends of your hair or highlights, you only need to apply to the areas that are dyed. It’ll save you some money as you won’t have to shampoo your whole head and waste the purple toner.
- Depending on how tired your hair looks it can be worth leaving it to sit for 5 minutes and work it deep into your hair.
- Always follow the instructions on the bottle or ask your colourist if you’re worried you’re not using it right.
How to Dye Your Hair Blonde for Guys
If you’re just thinking about adding some blonde highlights to your hair or popping on a light colour then it’s not an issue to just do it yourself. For more drastic options like platinum blonde or permanent dyes you should always work with a colourist to make sure you do it right.
There are a few things to consider when dying men’s hair blonde, the most important is how long you want it to last. Here’s a look at some of the options available.
- Temporary – This will usually only last 6-12 washes and if your hair is already quite dark then it’s probably not the best choice for you. This is a great option for anyone who’s thinking about going blonde but isn’t totally sure what they want. If you hate it you don’t have to wait very long for it to disappear. If you love it you can move on to longer lasting products.
- Semi-permanent – These will usually last about 2 or 3 times longer than temporary dyes, around 28 weeks. It’s best to give these a go once you’re a bit more confident with the colour you want. If you’re looking to cover up some greys with blonde then this is a great option for you.
- Permanent – Make sure you know what colour you want first and trial some of the more temporary colours first. You’re going to want to have a good chat with your colourist about this as permanent options shouldn’t be taken lightly. Get to know your colourist well as you’ll be heading back every 4-6 weeks to re-dye as your roots come through.
If you’re a bit nervous about going all out you can have a trial run with some highlights, there’s less commitment and if you do regret it you can always dye over them. Don’t be afraid to give it a go though, it’s only some highlights and they’ll disappear in a few weeks.
Some Tips on Highlighting your Hair from Home:
- Buy a highlighting kit for the length of your hair.
- Choose a colour that’s no more than two shades lighter than your hair.
- Read the instructions carefully.
- Apply dye and wash out thoroughly.
How to Bleach Your Hair Blonde
Bleaching hair can leave it more fragile than before, it’s important that when you first apply the dye it should be on untouched hair. If you’re not sure it’s best to wait a month since you’ve applied any other kind of dye in it.
Some guys aren’t used to conditioning their hair but it’s so important before applying any bleach. It’s best to look out for a deep conditioner, if you’ve not bleached your hair before, you probably haven’t got one hanging around, but they’re not too expensive and you can find them in pretty much every supermarket or pharmacist. Apply a deep conditioner a couple of days before you plan on bleaching, it’ll give your hair some protection and stop it from ending up brittle.
If you can leave it a few days without washing your hair before bleaching it’ll be the best for your hair health. Whatever you do, do not wash your hair the day or night before your hair’s getting bleached. The last thing you want is to end up with an irritated scalp. He’s some bleach blonde men and some products to give you a little inspiration.
Before considering bleaching your hair we recommend going to a hair stylist and having a chat. When you make the appointment they’ll let you know if there’s anything else you need to do beforehand to prepare. If you’re set on doing it yourself, make sure you read the instructions very carefully and look for a reputable brand. There’s not much point wasting money on a bleach if it isn’t going to work and just leaves your hair dry and weak.
When handling any kind of bleach always think about your skin, wear the gloves provided and if it makes contact with your skin clean it off as soon as possible.
Best Hair Dye for Men
The type of hair dye that suits you depends on a whole loads of factors but eye colour and skin tone play a part.
To make the hair dye last you’re going to need to look for a colour shampoo that suits the dye you’ve applied to your hair. If you’re in doubt ask your colourist what they’d recommend. If the colour does start to fade you can also add dyes for a few weeks after the initial application to give it a boost.
Which Colour Suits my Skin Tone:
- Fair skin – platinum blonde or ash blonde can really compliment fairer skin tones.
- Medium/ olive – platinum blonde can really work with olive complexion but it’s definitely a risk, try keeping the roots a little darker and blend the blonde in on top.
- Dark skin – look at golden/ copper blondes, dark skin and light hair gives really striking results.
How to Dye Brown Hair Blonde
Everyone from Eminem to Mark Ronson has managed to go from brown to blonde and pulled it off, it does take a fair amount of time before and after.It’s a big step to go from brown to blonde and will definitely get people talking. It might be a good idea to warn friends and family you’re going blonde so they’re not too shocked the next time they see you.
There’s the worry that your hair will turn ginger, if this happens try adding some ash blonde colorant to the roots. To avoid this in the first place, make sure you leave the dye on for long enough. This is where it’s important to not go it alone and ask a colourist to help. They’ll be using decent dyes and know how to fix any issues like ginger roots.
Something to think about is how good a brown beard or stubble can look with blonde hair. The contrast is great, don’t be tempted to tint your eyebrows to match the hair, it just won’t work.
Dying Black Hair Blonde
When going from black to blonde you’re going to need confidence more than anything. People are going to be surprised but don’t take their shock to mean they don’t like your new look, it’s just that they’re not used to seeing you so differently.
It’s not going to be simple, the bleaching process from black to blonde is rarely done in one sitting, you’re going to have to be prepared for it to be bleached 2 or 3 times. This means your hair has to be strong, healthy and preferably thick. If you’ve got very thin black hair bleaching probably isn’t going to work for you, but you can always try highlights instead.
If your hair is dyed black already you’ll need to apply a dye remover to your hair first otherwise it’s very difficult to get the blonde through. It’s going to take a little while longer to get your blonde look but it’s better than wasting your time on bleach that won’t work.
How to Dye Your Hair Blonde
- Try out temporary or semi permanent colours first before taking the plunge into permanent colour.
- Work out which colour would suit your skin tone – cool colours will suit a pink skin tone.
- When going platinum always head to a professional colourist first.
- It doesn’t matter how dark your hair is already, you can always work a blonde colour into your hair.
On That Note
There’s no point worrying too much about taking the plunge into blonde hair for men, it can suit every skin tone and means you can try out so many more fashion options. You can see how many blonde converts are out there rocking it right now. Whether it’s platinum or strawberry blonde you want, there are options out there for you and finding a decent colourist is the best first step in making the switch over to blonde.