If you suffer from sensitive skin, shaving can be a nightmare. Knowing how to shave properly can make all the difference, leaving your skin a little less dishevelled by the time you’ve finished. With this in mind, here are some of the best shaving tips for men with sensitive skin.
How to Shave with Sensitive Skin
Shaving is probably the most common feature of a man’s routine. Whether your clean shaven or going for a stubbly do, regular maintenance is required. Unfortunately, if you suffer from sensitive skin this can mean dealing with irritation and redness on a regular basis. So, if you’re looking for the best shave for sensitive skin, check out some tips below.
How to Get the Closest Shave
- Clean: Clean your face with warm water, then place a hot cloth over your face for about a minute.
- Prepare: Apply a pre-shave oil, then shaving cream with a doubloon brush to spread the product evenly and raise the hairs on the face.
- Shave: Use a razor that’s been held under a hot tap and shave with the grain of your hair. Avoid going against the grain – this can cause irritation.
- Rinse: Rinse your face with cold water as this will close pores, preventing them getting blocked.
- Care: Apply an after-shave moisturiser for sensitive skin to your face.
Best Razors for Sensitive Skin
When it comes to a smooth shave, it’s best to stick with a manual razor. Although you have to be careful to not shred your skin with a cheap razor from the local supermarket, there are some excellent shavers out there for sensitive skin.
- Murdock Ernest Double Edged Safety Razor: This classic manual razor from Murdock is easily one of the smoothest and stylish shavers around. The double edged razor will give a close and easy shave, preventing irritation.
- Gillette Fusion ProShield: Gillette are renowned for their top quality razors, and the Fusion ProShield is one of the best yet. The ball and guard technology move with the skin – great for shaving with sensitive skin.
- Cornerstone Razor of The Year: Cornerstone is unique in that they will completely personalise your razor – tailoring it to suit the exact requirements of your sensitive skin.
Best Electric Razor for Sensitive Skin
Although a manual razor is undoubtedly the best way to achieve a close and smooth shave, sometimes you need something a bit quicker. Fortunately, with modern technology, there is a whole range of electric razors that are great for sensitive skin. Here are a few of the best ones on the market today.
- Braun Series 9: One of the most efficient shavers on the market, the Braun Series 9 uses SynchroSonic technology to create 40,000 cutting movements per minute, making it one of the smoothest shaves around and preventing snags/irritation.
- Philips Series 7000: The gentle precision blade gives a close shave as well as utilising a three ringed design – reducing friction, giving an even shave and preventing irritation.
- Panasonic ESRW30 Pro-Curve: Another great sensitive skin razor, the multi-directional pivoting head makes this perfect for a mid to short length stubble – keeping you trimmed without the irritation.
Best Shaving Cream for Sensitive Skin
When shaving it’s important to keep your face properly moisturised to avoid friction between your skin and the razor. Getting your hands on some good quality shaving cream is a must have when it comes to shaving every day.
- Uppercut Deluxe: Uppercut is a brand that was born out a passion for good quality barbering. When you use their shaving cream, you know you’re in safe hands.
- Murdock Shave Cream Jar: Murdock is great if you’re looking for something a little more nourishing to your skin. Aimed at the professional man, this jar of shave cream is packed full of goodness and excellent for a smooth, sensitive shave.
- Scaramouch & Fandango: As well as giving a smooth shave, this shave cream will nourish skin afterwards with unique ingredients like unicellular pseudo algae to energise skin cells.
How to Shave with Sensitive Skin
- Leave a hot towel on your skin before shaving, this will open pores – giving an easier shave.
- Use a doubloon brush to spread the product evenly and raise the hairs on the face.
- Shave with the grain, against it can cause irritation.
- Rinse with cold water to remove hairs, cream and close your pores.
- Use aftershave moisturiser to soothe skin and prevent dryness.
On That Note
As you probably already knew, shaving is an essential part of every man’s bathroom routine – likely a daily task, a little change can really make all the difference in terms of irritable skin. Knowing how to shave for men is, therefore, essential. Although it may cost a bit more, investing in a good quality razor and some shaving products is important for keeping your skin soft, smooth and healthy. As long as you spend a bit of time and effort on your shaving routine and follow our shaving guide, you’ll have less irritable skin in no time.