If you’ve lost all sense of motivation, and no form of persuasion is going to make you want to workout then don’t worry, we understand. It gets to this time of year and you’re just ready to spend your days in the beer garden, not the gym. But what if we tell you that you don’t have to workout alone?
The gym may have been a good idea back in January but you’re now getting pretty bored of your standard workouts, thus, loosing all motivation. If this is the case then you’ll be pleased to know that there’s a new workout trend and we love it. You and your girlfriend may already go to the gym together but always do different things, or you may already be gym partners, or, you both want to start a new kind of fitness routine before the summer kicks in. Whatever your situation is, why not scrap your current workout and do your gym sessions together?
This may sound good but, the real issue is yet to arise. How do you work out and not look like one of those annoying, cringey couples in the gym? The best couple workouts are those that you could do with anyone, not just your significant other half. They’re the workouts that you can actually feel the next day as well as the ones that make the gym session a lot more fun. So, if it’s one of those days where the gym seems like a challenge, pair up and work on your muscle building and fat loss in couple form.
Couple Ab workouts
Your abs seem like one of the hardest parts of your body to train (from my experience anyway), as whatever you do, the definition just goes away as soon as you have a meal. And to make things even more difficult, it always seems that when you’re training them, they ache which is good. But as soon as you’re done, you don’t feel the burn like you do after arm or leg day. Maybe you should do more, or maybe we’re just going to have to live with the fact that food just takes over the need to have abs.
For those of you couples that want to get abs and want to do it together, we’ve got a few exercises for you to try. You probably know a few of these already but have never tried them as a pair. You can do them at home or in the gym so you really have no excuse! Couple workouts at home can be tricky because of space and equipment, but with these, you should be able to do with ease.
- Passing sit up – You can do the cringey version or the un-cringey version o of this. The cringey way is when the guys stands up, the girls wrapped around him and she does the sit ups. This only really works the abs of the women so to switch it up, both sit opposite each other with your legs locked, and in a sit up position. You then simply sit up and either tap hands or pass a weight to each other. One of the cute couple workouts, just without being too over the top.
- Leg throw down – One of you stands up, legs apart. The other lies straight out on the floor with your head between your partners feet with their hands around the others ankles. The one that’s standing throws the others legs down while the other makes sure they don’t touch the floor.
- The Plank – Face each in the plank position but with your arms straight. Decide on a time frame and tap the opposite hands alternately. This works your core much more than a simple plank as you need to work harder to keep it engaged and balanced.
Leg Day Workouts
For girls, leg and bum day is the favourite and go to choice. But this doesn’t seem to be the case for guys (well not so much anyway). This is why leg day should be done with your girlfriend, so they can motivate you. No girl wants a boyfriend with massive arms and stick thin legs. They’re going to push you, and hopefully, over time you’ll love doing leg day as a couple.
Leg day comes with a few creative couple workouts. We’re not talking creative as in getting into some weird positions, we’re talking about doing super sets or weight-cardio interval training. For the super sets, choose two exercises and while one of you does the first one, the other does the second and then you swap. With no rest time in-between. Weight-cardio training is when one does the weight sets while the other does some kind of cardio movement like burpees, and then you switch.
- Reverse lunge – You can either do it with or without the mechanical ball but we’d recommend using one as we want you to really push yourself! Stand up and face each other, with one of your holding the ball. At the same time, take a step back into a lunge position, hold for two seconds and return to the standing position. Pass the ball to your partner and repeat.
- Body weight squat – This is one of the easy couple workouts you can do as it doesn’t involve any equipment. Stand facing each other ready to squat at and arms length. Hold hands with your arms out straight and simultaneously squat down while still holding each other. Hold for a couple of second, stand and repeat. You can lean back a little with this to really work your legs as you have the support from each other.
- Back to back wall sits – This is pretty self explanatory. It’s more of an endurance one as well so it’s sometimes best to do it at the end of your workout. Stand back to back and link arms either side of you then, squat down to a seated position while leaning back on each other for support. See how long you can both stay in this position for and when you’re done, you’ll be able to leave the gym more than satisfied.
First of all, if you’re going to the gym with your girlfriend, you’re probably going to love this whole squat section because, we get it, squats look good. Plus, you can show off to your partner with your squat ability. The technique, the weight and the amount of reps. And even though we’ve already talked about leg day, squats need their own subheading.
For good couple gym workouts, you need to support each other. There are loads of squats or squat related movements to try so you can mix it up each time. We’ve got a few of our favourites, but there’s just one thing to remember. If you’re using a bar, the partner that’s not doing the movement needs to check form and be there in case the weight is too much.
- Squat with rotation – This is one that uses the mechanical ball so find a weight that you are both comfortable with. Back to back, but not touching, one of you holds the ball and you both squat. When you’re in the squat position, you each turn to the side and meet in the middle passing the ball. You can then extend and repeat the movement so the ball goes full circle.
- Barbell squat – You’re going to need a bar with your desired weights on for this one. One of you will help with form and positioning and the other will do the squat. So, place the bar between your shoulders blades, making sure it’s not on your neck. You then simply squat down without bending too far forward or going so far that your knees go over your toes. Keep your core engaged and come back up. 3 sets of 12 work well for this move so rotate and rest while your partner squats.
- Wheelbarrow push up and squat – This is a bodyweight exercise and one of the fun couple workouts as you’re actually doing it together. In a wheelbarrow position, one of you has the push up stance while the other holds their legs. Together, you push up or squat, making sure you go down and up at the same time. Do this for a few reps and then swap.
Many of you gym goers and fitness fanatics may have already heard of this kind of workout, but for those of you that don’y quite know, it stands for High Intensity Interval Training. This pretty intense so, by putting it down as a couples workout, hopefully will make it seem a lot more fun and achievable.
HIIT consists of short burst of high intensity movements with then a short rest or low intensity period. For example, sprinting for 30 seconds, then walking for 30 seconds. You’d do this for a total of 15-20 minutes to get the best result. Doing this as a couple can help with motivation and will power to carry on as it can get pretty tiring. You can create your own routines so even the basic couple workouts can seem complex when you mix different moves together. To help, here are some potential HIIT movements for you to try.
- Goblet Squat
- Kettlebell swing
- Battle ropes
- Jump lunge
- Mountain climber
- Squat jump
On That Note
Couple workouts don’t have to be cringe worthy. You can still hit up the gym on date night for a session together, and before you start thinking, date night at the gym? It’s a good way to get closer and enjoy your time together while also doing something productive. So whether it’s couple home workouts, couple workouts for beginners or new and exciting couple workouts, you’ll be wanting to spend a lot more time in the gym now you don’t have to go alone.